Author Topic: BOOM! Gaming to Close All Game Servers on 12/3/17  (Read 395 times)

BOOM! Gaming to Close All Game Servers on 12/3/17
« on: November 20, 2017, 12:39:44 PM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
  • Founder - BOOM! Gaming Community
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Hello Everyone,

After 12 years of running game servers and the BOOM! Gaming Community, I've decided to close all of our game servers for good on Sunday 12/3/17 at 9:00 PM PST. This decision did not come easy for me, but in weighing all the options, I feel the time is right and it's something I need to do.

REASONS:
First and foremost, the cost. - I purchased two dedicated servers for a couple thousand dollars about 5 years ago and have been running all our 30+ game servers from the boxes ever since. Due to number, type and performance level of the game servers I wanted to run, getting dedicated servers was the only way to go. The cost of hosting the dedicated servers in the LA Datacenter we use is $155.00 per month each + $15.00/mo for gameME stats. Add another $20.00/mo. for the websites and hosting the banning system and it's nearly $350.00/mo.

I've made repeated attempts to get people to donate over the years but most of those efforts failed except for a few generous donors and some kids who stole mommy's credit card. Yes, and one mom actually thought I hijacked her card because of her kid making a $10.00 donation to BOOM! She threatened to call the police on me if I didn't refund her. In the end, that ended up costing me $5.00 more that the donation I got and a lot of stress! Can you imagine how I felt having someone accuse me of theft when I'm a cop!  I Currently receive and average of $10.00 per month in donations from one person (Admin Chef) to help pay for the servers. Getting donations has always been a challenge, but after paying for everything myself all these years, it's time I stop. I considered running ads on the servers, but in all honesty, I don't want to do that. I hate ads and it goes against everything I believe in so I'm not going to do that.

Another reason I've decided to stop hosting servers is because I'm tired of dealing with all the trolls and Internet tough guys who come here and ruin the game for people. As of this very moment, we have banned 13545 players and blocked 24881 players from returning to our servers. This number of bans goes up by an average of 10 players per day. We have banned so many people that we are actually struggling to fill our servers. This is truly sad but a something we all must face. A lot of people are Internet terrorists and say stuff from their computer they would never dare tell you to your face. These people are pussies and wouldn't last 10 seconds in the real world if they told someone the stuff they say to their face. It makes me sick to see there is such an absence of parenting going on out there.

A third reason I've decided to close the servers is because of Valve's long lost commitment to the Gaming Communities that got them where they are today. When I first opened BOOM!, there wasn't a single Valve Company game server to be found. Valve relied 100% on communities to host and pay for servers to run all of their games. This brought balance to the Valve world, but several years later, Valve filled the server browser with hundreds of their own unprotected vanilla game servers and excluded Community servers from the menus of TF2 so new players couldn't find us. To add insult to injury, Valve directed all holiday release traffic to their own servers which means community-based servers are left to die during holiday events, many of which never recover and close. Valve eventually added community servers back into their game menus, but it was too-little too late for many faithful community server owners. If it weren't for the fact BOOM! has been around a very long time, we would be much worse off, however, we still get hurt by this and our player counts are way down from a year ago. This practice by Valve has hurt all of us in the long-run.

In closing  >>>>  I wanted to tell everyone that I've had great joy in running BOOM! Gaming Community. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be a 12-year run when I rented my first CSS 24/7 Funtimes server. I have no regrets and consider every one of the cool players I've met through-out the years as my gaming family. It's pretty cool to see a kid who started playing on our servers when he was 10-years-old now getting married and having his own kids. I also want to thank the great admins we’ve had over the years. Without their help, our servers would have been like every other cheater and troll-filled Valve server out there. You all did a great job!

The BOOM! Discord server (https://discord.gg/G98yaEq), Steam Community page (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boomgamingcommunity) and Website (www.boomgaming.net) will stay online as a way for all of us to stay in touch. Once the server box is back here at home with me, I'll be doing some community fun nights for players who want to play some TF2 or CSS together. Stay tuned for more on that by way of announcements on the BOOM! Website, Discord  and Steam Group.

Happy Holidays Everyone,
Lt. Maverick - Owner
www.boomgaming.net
Mav's Favorite Quotes:
"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George Patton
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton
"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers
"AFK for just fifteen guys!" - Mav

Re: BOOM! Gaming to Close All Game Servers on 12/3/17
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:03:36 PM »

Offline Death Angel

• Members
    • View Profile
Lt. Maverick,

Thanks for hosting the best game server and community I've ever been on.  I hope you are as successful with your other life ambitions.  There will never be BOOM! replacement for me, so you've erected a life-long monument in my life and I'll always miss the good times with Zarva, Hellman, TwistyJ, and all of my other favorite CS victims.

I've never been able to contribute and haven't been able to play for a couple of years now because of personal challenges, but I have tears on my face now as I say good by to the only gaming community that was home to me.

Thanks again,

Death Angel

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »

Offline Chuckles the Pyro

• Members
    • View Profile
BOOM is what got me back into TF2 2 years ago and is the server I met my girlfriend (soon to be fiance, dont say anything  ;) ) Thank you for the endless hours of fun you've given me and my friends, hope you find happiness in what life decides to throw at you next.

LOVE YA MAV

-Chuckles

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:42 AM »

Offline BOOM! Tribium

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks for everything you and everyone else did to keep this community going as long as it has. While the game servers will be missed by a lot, I hope people continue to return to this site to catch up every now and then.

I look forward to some CSS nights once you get everything setup at your place.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »

Offline Simple

• Game Server Admin
  • Manager of Self
    • View Profile
    • Oregon Coast PC
BOOM! has been an amazing Clan/Group to have played with. I support Mav 100% in his decision. Love you guys.

....:Keep.it.Simple:....

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »

Offline Hael

• View Profile
Even though I'm not exactly an old timer to the group, I've had a good time playing on it. I hope everyone that was connected through the servers can still find a way to connect and have fun with each other. Personally, without BOOM, I wouldn't have met almost any of the good people I know now. Thank you for all the good times, Mav, and the server admins who keep the servers clean and a good place to be. - Hael

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 10:46:14 AM »

Offline Pezric

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
Tick tick tick...

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Thank you to everyone for all the nice comments. You all are the reason I started and kept BOOM! Gaming running all these years. I've had many MANY good times with all 1000s of people I've met over the past 12 years and it has been my honor to give so many people a fun place to come and play their favorite games as free as possible from the trolls that infect the Internet and the world. I only wish I could've done more, but I think we did ok.

The servers will be turned off for the last time at 9 PM PST tonight. When that happens, I'll be holding up a beer and toasting you all for what we've enjoyed together.

What's next? Who knows.... But after the first of the year when my chaotic life slows a bit, I plan to get back on and play a few games and hang with the folks who stick around and want to play together. BOOM! is about more than game servers. It's about a group of people who have similar beliefs and ideals and recognize that we all need to respect each other and have a good time together. And since this is the case, it should be no problem for us to get together and play some games together and still have a good time. I look forward to that day in the very near future. Until then.... Stay tuned, stay connected and stay in touch with us via the communication services we will continue to offer that will keep BOOM! around for a long time. And who knows what could happen in the future with our game servers? A Troll-free private server(s) just for paying members perhaps? Something else? Other games?

Happy Sunday everyone,
Lt. Maverick - Owner
www.boomgaming.net
Mav's Favorite Quotes:
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton
"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 04:51:47 PM »

Offline blaze-it

• View Profile
Hey, I just want y'all to know that it was amazing playing on your servers, Mav. It is truly sad to see that they will go down and remain down perhaps for the rest of eternity.
TF2 is going through a rough time and the developers don't see the potential in these communities that are built on the foundations that this game will live on. Losing BOOM! literally removes 19 servers from my "Favorites" tab ingame.

Good luck to all of you in finding a new community to commit to, but in my heart, this was the one that always made my day. To those who frequent on BOOM servers, we had some amazing times.

It's been a good run boys.

-blaze

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »

Offline amura.cxg

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
Cheers to Mav, you built an amazing community and gave thousands of people a place to play a game they loved. Even when TF2's popularity started to decline and Valve-hosted servers started to take traffic from community run servers you kept BOOM! alive and vibrant, that was no small feat.

I came to BOOM! after my previous community closed it doors not expecting to find another community. After stumbling into a BOOM! server I knew I'd found a new community of great people. In the years I was active I made countless friends and learned a lot from everyone here. Although I haven't been active in quite some time, BOOM! has always been close to my heart and when I saw the servers were shutting down it was a sad day. But I know this isn't the end, as one chapter ends another starts. I know BOOM! will continue to be the great community it has always been.

Again, I want to send a huge thanks to Mav for your years of service and dedication to this community. Not only for managing the community and the servers but for everything you did outside. I know many people here who were personally helped by you in one way or another. It takes a ton of work to maintain a server, even more to maintain a great community, and so much more to personally take care of that community. BOOM! wouldn't be what it is without your hard work and your passion. Thank you.

Gone are the days of Lt. McNasty but the memories live on (not even my therapist could fix that). LOL!
NaNaNaNaNaRainbow Dash is best pony!

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Thank you for all the kind words Amura. I appreciate them and all the work you put in helping me with the community. And make no mistake about it. Your therapist and a lot more to fix than Lt. McNasty's mark on you! :P

Love you brother,
Mav
Mav's Favorite Quotes:

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
I received the below message via email from BOOM! Jam... When this happens, I like to post these messages as a tribute to our rich history here.

Lt. Maverick, that name sure rings a bell. Well-natured, reasonable person. For that, I am proud to have been a part of BOOM!

CounterStrike: Source was a huge part of my broke college life. So many memories that got me through down times. The community servers is the only reason the game is still alive. I'm sure your servers have brought fun memories to thousands. It has been fun representing the BOOM! tag, and it has been an honor being an admin on one of your servers. Your efforts will not be forgotten. Cheers.

-JAM
Mav's Favorite Quotes:

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »

Offline Chef

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
Nice message.I don't recall him...AKA?

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Yea, he's a good dude. He went only by BOOM! Jam.

Mav's Favorite Quotes:

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 09:57:33 PM »

Offline The_Rusty_Geek

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
It is just surreal thinking that the BOOM! Servers have shutdown for me. Its been a part of my life for the last 6 years. I've spent hundreds of hours on these servers. I know the ins and outs of the Achievement_Idle maps like the back of my hand, every nook and cranny is familiar to me. The players, the familiar MOTD screen that pops up when I join the server.
I remember playing on these servers almost daily. When I got home from elementary the first thing after finishing my homework was BOOM! Gaming servers. I had a rough time in elementary school. I picked fights and was not very well liked. My grades were dirt poor, and my parents argued over me. When I came home crying, I always looked towards to playing on BOOM! servers. The familiar community and players helped me to cool off and calm down. Something just kept pulling me back for more. I can't put my finger on why.
Maybe it was the culmination of what TF2's game design philosophy came down to? Casual, and foolish, yet competitive and hardcore when needed.
My server favorites list has shrunk within the past half decade of playing TF2. One by one, servers shut down. I went from about 120 servers in my favorites to about 30. Entire communities folded and disappeared, yet BOOM! Gaming stayed on the list.
I've met awesome people on these servers that I would have never met if I hadn't played.
And I've also met some of the worst people, but they were rare and quickly banned.
Its kind of funny when I look back on how I became a moderator.
It was winter break, and I really had nothing to do, so I decided to make a lengthy post about the servers and what could be improved about them
I guess Mav saw some obvious dedication in my mini-essay, and he made an equally lengthy reply.
So in the end, I'll tell you this. You are clearly a person who takes serious interest in our servers and for this I'm very grateful. So do me a favor, fill out an Admin application online at www.boomgaming.net and submit it. I will review it and respond accordingly. I welcome anyone such as yourself who is willing to assist the Community and make the servers the best they can be for all our players. If you don't meet the criteria for the Admin position, we can discuss that. You know my Steam profile info, so add me as a Friend once you complete your app and we'll talk more.
I was 14 at the time and this was huge.
I could finally be a part of what had been one of my favorite places to be in.
I made my application, but I was a bit nervous, Lt. Mav stated that there was a no exceptions rule for any applicants under 18, so I decided to send the application anyways.
After a lengthy interrogation, I was finally granted admin privileges.
To be honest, I was pretty stupid back then, I was harsh on rule breakers, and I sometimes was a bit immature with my newfound power.
It was the first time I've been given a position of this kind, and it took me a while to realize what I was doing was stupid and immature.
As with everyone we eventually move on. This year, my interest in TF2 started to dwindle. BOOM! servers were my only motivation to play, and its server populations were dwindling. I eventually moved on to other games like War Thunder and the venerable Battlefield 3. When friends came over, it was immediately back to TF2 for us. Its unique charm kept on pulling us back for more, and these servers were a source of many good memories for me.
Everytime I left the Idle servers, I would always leave a short "Bye!".
Even if I didn't say it in chat, I always said that in my mind, to the 20-30 players, who I've shared my moments with for the past few hours  (Many who I would never see again).
On December 3rd, I said goodbye for the final time, except instead of to 30 or 20 players, it was 8.
From the servers being full, and constantly double clicking the Idle servers to see I could get a slot, to seeing player counts rarely break 15.
Moderating these servers was a unique and interesting experience that I could not put a price on.
The people, the amazing times I've had with random strangers from around the world.
The random conga line or the massive mosh pits in the boxing ring. The random friendly encounters, and fun chats with people.
Now forever relegated to the past tense.
Thank you Lt. Maverick for giving a huge part of my childhood substance, and for keeping it alive for so long.
Thank you.

-BOOM! The_Rusty_Geek