Author Topic: Video card upgrade input requested  (Read 124 times)

Video card upgrade input requested
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »

Offline Simple

• Game Server Admin
  • Manager of Self
    • View Profile
    • Oregon Coast PC
Hello everyone!!

I currently have a ge force gt730
here are my pc specs:
OS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version   10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description    Not Available
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   AHHSUM
System Manufacturer   Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model   To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type   x64-based PC
System SKU   To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor   AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. FC, 6/1/2015
SMBIOS Version   2.7
Embedded Controller Version   255.255
BIOS Mode   Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer   Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model   Not Available
BaseBoard Name   Base Board
Platform Role   Desktop
Secure Boot State   Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration   Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "10.0.14393.1378"
User Name   AHHSUM\myers
Time Zone   Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory   32.0 GB
Available Physical Memory   27.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory   66.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory   60.9 GB
Page File Space   34.0 GB
Page File   D:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware   Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection   Yes

I play old school games like cs:s and a little tf2. I recently added CS:go to my arsenal, as well as BeamNG and GTAV.

I'm looking for sugestions to upgrade my video card, and am curious if anyone has a used upgrade they would want to sell me, as cards are currently heavily inflated thanks to Mining rigs.

Any input respected. I do run dual monitors on DVI-D. Thanks for the input friends
....:Keep.it.Simple:....

Re: Video card upgrade input requested
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »

Offline MnemonicSyntax

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
I think anything more than a 1050 Ti would create a bottleneck based on that processor. I wouldn't know what the AMD equivalent of that is.

Also, that's some overkill for that RAM.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »

Offline Simple

• Game Server Admin
  • Manager of Self
    • View Profile
    • Oregon Coast PC
I did go a little crazy on the ram. I appreciate the Input on the 1050ti. That's the card I've been watching prices on
....:Keep.it.Simple:....

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
  • Founder - BOOM! Gaming Community
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Just a word of caution on the latest video cards, specifically from Nvidia.

About 2 years ago I decided to go nuts and bought a new Nvidia EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC 4 GB video card with 3 new 25" ASUS PB258Q 25" WQHD 2560x1440 IPS DisplayPort monitors. The whole setup cost me about $1600.00. I upgrade video cards about every 3 years and since most monitors last nearly forever so I figured I'd go for it. I absolutely need 3 monitors for the work I do. This upgrade turned out to be a total nightmare for me and I wanted to share a couple of things with you before you make the leap to a new card.

The first and most important thing to note is that you can no longer buy Nvidia GeForce cards from any manufacturer that has more than one HDMI port on their card. All these manufacturers are rallying around Display Port (DP) technology. and putting 3 DPs on their multi-port cards instead of multiple HDMI ports. This is a pisser because there are thousands of multi HDMI monitor users out there who don't want to buy new monitors when upgrading their video cards! The other major problem I ran into with DP monitors is that Windows doesn't know how to communicate with them properly. Specifically. when your PC tries to turn them off to save power, it screws up what you have showing on your screens. This is the case with all versions of Windows including 7, 8 and 10.

The problem is that DP monitors are treated as plug and play devices. This is a problem because when Windows sends a signal to a DP monitor to go into standby mode and the Display shuts-down, Windows thinks the monitor has been unplugged from the PC. Here's where the problem lies. When you have open windows on a monitor in Windows and the monitor is disconnected from the PC, Windows takes all the open windows that were on the monitor that was removed and pushes them onto the primary monitor so you can still see them. This resulting action means that every time one of the secondary displays in a multi-monitor setup goes to sleep and has windows open, the PC resizes them and moves all it's open windows onto the main monitor. When you come back and move your mouse to bring the monitors back up, you have to move all the windows back to their original places and resize them! for a guys who typically has 10 windows open at a time, this is a major pain in my ass!

I've spent two years researching this and sorting through hundreds of posts online from pissed off users like me, trying to find a solution. Some experts blame poor video drivers while others blame windows P&P technology shortfalls. But no one is fixing either.

In the end, I set my computer leave the screens on in order to fix it. So if you plan to run more than one monitor on a new GeForce card and use DP displays, be prepared for this.

Take care and good luck on your search,
Mav

Mav's Favorite Quotes:
"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George Patton
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton
"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers
"AFK for just fifteen guys!" - Mav