Author Topic: YouTube video: Honda rolls over in front of my buddy driving.  (Read 211 times)

Offline Simple

• Game Server Admin
  • Manager of Self
    • View Profile
    • Oregon Coast PC

^^ it's pretty short, but it's had over 3k views which is crazy for my small channel.

....:Keep.it.Simple:....

Re: YouTube video: Honda rolls over in front of my buddy driving.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
  • Founder - BOOM! Gaming Community
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Dude! What the hell was he doing? He was probably texting and didn't see the road veering to the left. It looks like he wasn't even paying attention to the road.

WOW!
Mav's Favorite Quotes:
"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George Patton
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton
"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers
"AFK for just fifteen guys!" - Mav

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »

Offline Bueller2

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
It is those type of videos I have watched that convinced me to put a HD camera setup in my new car It has a forward facing camera on my front windshield and a rear facing camera on my back window.

Not that I want to catch stuff like that, but I want to be able to have video if someone crashes into me. That way if there is any question to who is at fault, I have it on video.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:54:30 AM »

Offline BOOM! Tribium

• Members
    • View Profile
Thats nuts.

I was talking to my wife about this the other day and said, pretty soon people are going to be coming out with memes saying

"You know you're old when you drive and talk on the phone" with a picture of someone driving and holding the phone up to their ear.

It's a damn shame that my generation and the future ones to come are so damn stupid and think that texting and driving is something that can be "mastered".  People that knew what it was like before should know better but these kids that are born into it don't even stand a chance. Seems like they're glued to a phone/tablet from birth.

Luckily it looks like no one besides the idiot driver was hurt so thats good.

Bueller what is your camera set-up? I've been on the fence but it seems like the crappy ones are just that, and the super expensive ones are way overkill.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »

Offline Bueller2

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
The setup I had put in my car is called BLACKVUE. It is a full HD system that comes with both the front and rear camera systems. I also had them put the BLACKVUE Power Magic Pro in, which allows you to program the system to record if your car is parked in a parking lot. You can set it to record from the battery back up from 6 hours up to 120 hours.

I like this system not just for the full HD but it also has a phone app, along with wifi connection and cloud based service. I have not done the cloud based setup at this time. I think it runs extra. It shows the time, date and your speed when you play the videos. Oh and it also has GPS.

As for the cost. It ran around $450 for the camera system and then around another $400+ for the install.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »

Offline Chef

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
Holy moly that is expensive.I suppose if it saves you money in the long run it is worth it though

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »

Offline Bueller2

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
Well I put it on my new car. 2017 BMW M3 competition package (444hp 0mph-60mph in 3.9 seconds)  ;D

So the way I look at it. I have proof to give to my insurance company if someone hits me. I will see if I can figure out how to upload the video to a youtube video and post it so you can see how good the video from the camera is.

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »

Offline BOOM! Tribium

• Members
    • View Profile
lol... as I said. The crappy ones suck and the super expensive one's are nuts!

For your case though, it's chump change compared to that sweet sweet M3!!!! - Congrats on that btw.

I hear those BMW tend to push out more power than they're rated. Ever put it on a dyno?

Anyway thanks for the details on the set-up. It's a couple of hundred out of my price range, but a sick system nonetheless.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Tribium (Manuel), you are such an amazing person Bro. You really are.

In all the years I've known you, you've always made people feel good about themselves. You boost people up and never bring someone down, even when people were rude. You've always remained positive not matter what crap you were going through. God has a special place for you in Heaven my friend and I hope he takes good care of you here too. You deserve it!

Have a great week!
Mav
Mav's Favorite Quotes:
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton
"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

Offline BOOM! Tribium

• Members
    • View Profile
 :'(

Thank you for the kind words!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »

Offline Bueller2

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
Tribium,

I have also been checking into cams that point toward the drivers side window and the passenger side window that have mounts available. GoPro actually has some real nice HD systems that are not super expensive and are voice activated also. I am still looking into others. If I find any that have nice quality video that are more reasonable, I will let you know.

Mav,

I am going to take a drive up the coast one of these days. I will let you know so you can take the car for a spin. If you have a track up there to we can test the launch control mode on it   :)

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
 :D :D :D :D :D 8)
Mav's Favorite Quotes:

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 02:40:01 PM »

Offline BOOM! Tribium

• Members
    • View Profile
Tribium,

I have also been checking into cams that point toward the drivers side window and the passenger side window that have mounts available. GoPro actually has some real nice HD systems that are not super expensive and are voice activated also. I am still looking into others. If I find any that have nice quality video that are more reasonable, I will let you know.

Mav,

I am going to take a drive up the coast one of these days. I will let you know so you can take the car for a spin. If you have a track up there to we can test the launch control mode on it   :)

Take video if this goes down!

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 01:52:11 AM »

Offline Bueller2

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
 :'( This does not have anything to do with the video but we were talking about cars and cameras and I was to lazy to start a new post lol.

So I just found out this weekend how expensive it is when you don't pay attention to curbs in an M3. Was backing out of a parking space and was looking at my rear view mirror and backup camera display to be sure I did not back into the parked cars behind me. Not paying attention to my sideview mirror I neglected to see the corner of a low concrete curb, all of a sudden I feel my right passenger side jerk and hear a horrible crunch. I look at my rearview mirror again and the backup camera that still shows I have room between me and the parked car behind me. I get out of my car and go to the back of it and look at the car behind me which is not even close to mine. I look at my bumper and there is no damage to it or my rear passenger fender. Then I look at the curb and the big black mark on the corner of it, which then I proceed to look down at my passenger side rear tire and rim, and see a nice size abrasion on the side of the rim along with a chunk of the side wall pealed and hanging. I then proceed to get sick to my stomach  :-\

Long story short. The following day I make a call.

New Rim $1250 + tax
New Tire $412 + tax
New Tire Sensor $105 + tax
Mounting New Tire Onto New Rim $50

Grand Total With Tax = $1954.00 - I proceed to get sick to my stomach again  :'(

The lesson of the story is this. Always use your side mirrors along with the rearview mirror, and backup camera. Don't rely  on the backup camera and the rear view mirror. There is a reason why on new cars manufacturers have the passenger sideview mirror point down toward the ground when you put your vehicle in reverse.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 10:40:14 AM »

Offline BOOM! Tribium

• Members
    • View Profile
Jesus. I hope you still have the old wheel. You can probably go and get a quote on refinishing it. If its curb rash usually there are shops that can do a pretty dang good job for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Then you could have a backup just in case, or you could sell it to the BMW community. I know down in SoCal there is a decent amount of activity among enthusiast.

I'm almost due for some new rubber but I'm excited to finally swap to some good stuff. Probably so pilot super sport 2 or something of that nature.

Speaking of tires, what tire did you buy that was $400+ ? Or did they make you pay a premium for only buying 1?

I would also recommend to never park head on if at all possible. Almost immediately after driving my Subie off the lot I scrapped the bottom right of my bumper against a curb when I parked because I had never driven a car with an aggressive-ish front bumper. Since then I back in to every spot and typically park a mile away from where I'm going (I hate door dings).