Author Topic: All BOOM! Game Servers Updated to Highest Security Level Available - 6/10/15  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
  • Founder - BOOM! Gaming Community
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Today I reset all the BOOM! Gaming TF2 servers to highest level of security available to Valve game servers. By setting our servers in such a way, players will no longer be able to use custom sounds, materials or weapon skins when playing with us. It also means that sprays are completely blocked. This setting is referred to 'sv_pure 2'.

It's sad we have been forced to do this, but the reason for this change is because of the ever increasing number of would-be cheaters who come to our servers and try to ruin the fun for everyone. Steam accounts and TF2 are free, so there is an endless supply of free accounts these scumbags have access to. If Valve charged even $5.00 for TF2, our problems would be over. But that battle has been fought and sadly we lost.

Our anticheat software is amazing and catches most of these people and automatically bans them as many as 20 times per day. We are still concerned that a handful of the cheaters may get through our advanced protection so we feel this setting change is appropriate to stop them.

In our experience, very few legitimate TF2 players use anything that would stop working as a result of this change. But if concerns are raised by our players, we will address them appropriately so our players still love to come here and have fun. I've been playing TF2 for many years. This change has had no effect on me and I doubt anyone else will be impacted or notice either.

THANKS FOR PLAYING WITH BOOM! GAMING COMMUNITY!

Lt. Maverick
WEB: www.boomgaming.net
Email: support@boomgaming.net
Mav's Favorite Quotes:
"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George Patton
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton
"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers
"AFK for just fifteen guys!" - Mav

Offline Pezric

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
Thank you for the update!

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
  • Founder - BOOM! Gaming Community
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Hello,

An unfortunate side-effect was discovered as a result of setting our servers to pure_2 mode. The custom sounds and effects used by several of our plugins, such as Goomba Stomp, no longer work. As a result, I've reverted back one level of pure to mode 1. This is still very secure but allows the custom content we use to continue to work. It also allows people to spray still as well but only they can see it so that's perfect.

I have moved our advertisements into the chat area on the servers and colorized them so they stand out. The advertisements used to display in the middle of the bottom of the screen and were less visible there. Now they appear where most people look, right in the chat box area.

I'm hopeful this will make our rules and messages more visible and cut down on the stupidity of some people. If not, we still have the ban hammer at our disposal for the troll and idiots who think it' ok to ruin the fun of others.

I'll be reporting more on some other updates I'm working on as well. Stay tuned.
Mav
Mav's Favorite Quotes:
"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George Patton
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton
"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers
"AFK for just fifteen guys!" - Mav

Offline amura.cxg

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
cut down on the stupidity of some people

If only this was possible...

It sucks that you had to even consider using sv_pure 2, people suck.
NaNaNaNaNaRainbow Dash is best pony!