Author Topic: Forums Topics Owners Lost - 1/3/2013  (Read 2047 times)

Forums Topics Owners Lost - 1/3/2013
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
  • Founder - BOOM! Gaming Community
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
This evening ♌♑♫AriaSymphony♫♑♌ (aka: Wazzy) reported he couldn't log onto the BOOM! Website. After troubleshooting it for over an hour, I gave up and had him re-register. After he registered, I executed some manual MySQL commands provided by a tech at the SMF forums that were suppose to merge Aria's old account with the new account. Apparently the code was flawed and it made "Wazzy" the owner of every post on the website and deleted the original posters name on every fucking post!

I had set a backup job to run weekly for our database but of course now that I need it, it is nowhere to be found. So this means were screwed. I have gone back in and set a fictitious name of BOOM! Lt. Maverick as the owner of the posts now just so at least the FAQ and other topic areas will appear in my name as they originally did. There is no way to go back at this point so I'm considering wiping the site of everything except the most important posts and starting over.

Sorry for the hassle. I'm gonna go drink lots of alcohol right now and cry myself to sleep.

Good night,
Mav
Mav's Favorite Quotes:
"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George Patton
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton
"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers
"AFK for just fifteen guys!" - Mav

Re: Forums Topics Owners Lost - 1/3/2013
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »

Offline amura.cxg

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
Mother of god....
That sucks (but the idea of the entire site just being Wazzy talking to him self is hilarious!). If you need any help fixing this give me a shout.
Have a couple of drinks on me
NaNaNaNaNaRainbow Dash is best pony!

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:21:59 AM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
It's as fixed as it's gonna get, but thanks. And Thanks for the extra drinks, they were yummy.  :P
Mav's Favorite Quotes:
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton
"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »

Offline Aria☆Symphony

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
I don't talk to myself!
At least I don't think I do? Do I? What am I saying! I don't do it!

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »

Offline p00k4kk3 - DECEASED

• Game Server Admin
  • Deceased - Died in 2018 Paradise CA. "Camp Fire"
    • View Profile
Might not be related, but on the off chance that it is: I had some little Sh** attempt to change the password on my steam account a few days ago. The only place I had my login email address listed online was here in my admin application. It's possible that someone is targeting this forum with malicious intent.

I guess it would make sense, because a lot of people have the same login information for forums as they do for their steam accounts, so hacking a forums potentially gives them access to steam accounts as well. I've seen it happen in mmorpg guild forums before, where accounts can be worth quite a bit of money.

I've since edited my application to remove that email address, and replaced it simply with my Steam ID page.

Maybe I am just paranoid, though.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »

Offline Lt. Maverick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
Our site doesn't store or cache your Steam password anywhere. The login process is done entirely through Steam via a third party plugin. This is exactly why using the Steam API to login is best and more people are doing it. A hacker would need to steal your password from Steam in order to gain access to your account.

Mav
Mav's Favorite Quotes:

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »

Offline monkey

• Unusual Trader Extraordinairre
    • View Profile
Mother of god....
That sucks (but the idea of the entire site just being Wazzy talking to him self is hilarious!). If you need any help fixing this give me a shout.
Have a couple of drinks on me

How is that any different from what he does already? Lol

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »

Offline Aria☆Symphony

• Game Server Admin
    • View Profile
I am greatly not offended